Friday, February 15, 2008

A pre-finale Project Runway roundup

As an avid watcher of Project Runway, and with the finale coming close (I assume after next week's reunion episode), here is a moderate analysis.

The hardest thing for me to do is throw favoritism to the side. My favorite originally was Kit, but that's because I like to base reality show potential on looks alone, because I'm superficial. My favorite skill-wise was Rami because he had won two challenges thus far, and no one else had done that; however, he is getting the shaft because all he does is drape (and rightfully so), so I need to re-evaluate my predictions.

There is a moderate spoiler for anyone who didn't catch the newest episode yesterday.

Sweet P was sent home -- thank God. She has grown as a designer, but definitely does not deserve top designer status.

The real dilemma here is between Rami and Chris. According to the latest episode, Rami and Chris will show their 3 best designs to determine who will show at fashion week, and that will decide third and fourth place (or, potentially, fourth and first/second). The problem I have here is that Chris was previously eliminated and returned due to a technicality of one of the best designers (Jack) going home because of illness. From a logistical standpoint, I assumed Heidi (and producers) brought him back as kind of a joke, but here he is, competing for fashion week.

I will not deny that Chris' designs have improved, but on principle alone he should not be able to show at fashion week because he was eliminated, brought back for no good reason, and stepped it up. If I was any of the contestants eliminated while he was allowed to return I would throw a fit. What the hell is that? By that logic alone Rami should be at least third and show at fashion week.

Jillian and Christian is a tough call. Jillian is a fair designer, but A) she has only won one challenge, and b) is one of the more quiet personalities. Granted, personality is not equal to designer potential, but let's face it, this is reality TV. On the other hand, you have Christian, who has won three challenges (impressive), but been in the 'low' bracket twice. He is very hit or miss.

I can't help thinking of season two, when Daniel competed against Chloe. Chloe had a very well done design, clean and chic, but Daniel's was more adventurous and inspiring, and honestly, about as clean as it could get. I won't deny it -- I hate hate hate Christian (personality wise), but his designs have been risky, yet well executed, and I'm now predicting him to be the winner.

We shall see...

No comments: