Monday, February 18, 2008

SONG OF THE WEEK - Hot Chip "Wrestlers"

I'm going to start a new feature today, that may or may not change the way you see music. Song Of The Week! Wherein I will express the extreme pleasure that I have achieved by listening to a certain specific song, many times over and over until my wife expresses her displeasure at said song. I will describe the reasons I like it in terms not often used by music reviewer types, mostly because I do not have the neccessary abilities to describe music as those types do. without further ado----

HOT CHIP - WRESTLERS
play song here

 This is the most awesome song of the week. Allow me the privilege of breaking it down.

1. It's a europop song about wrestling, of the lucha libre, WCW-style. I didn't even know British people had seen that sort of thing. Last i checked all they did was eat fried fish, take over small nations the world over and have bad teeth. Then again, last time i checked was sometime in the late 1800s, so I imagine things may have changed since then.

2. The point in the song that starts with naming wrestling moves -"half nelson, full nelson, willie nelson...." then ends with OI! OI!   It's the early favorite for best verse of 2008.

If i was a musician, I imagine I would write lyrics as fun and singable as these. But if i was a musician they would have been sung in a horrible flat monotone. Hot Chip does better than that.
If i was writing for Rolling Stone or Blender I would say how that fun-loving, atypical section of lyrics punctuates the discourse on modern lyricism as it relates to pop culture. But I don't write for those magazines. I will say...it's really awesome, and mostly indescribable.

3. I don't generally like technopop type music. But I don't care who you are. Hot Chip is AWESOME.
And when I say I don't generally like technopop music, I'm saying that I like Toxic by Britney, and anything by Justin Timberlake, and the entire album by The Postal Service. And Daft Punk. So what I'm actually saying is that I don't like unpopular music, but if something gets popular...I AM ALL OVER IT.

And HOT CHIP IS BLOWIN' UP!

seacrest out.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I KNOW! its so good.
we listened to it on the way down to seattle last weekend. perfect for long roads with lots of fields and random windmill thingies.
-your favo sister

p.s hey you are kind of funny after all. i like the whole crocs portion of your blowing up the sun schpeal.