Monday, February 25, 2008

Post-Oscar Commentary

What a great night Sunday was. The Oscars could not have gone much better. Almost all of the winners were the 'should have wons,' and that's great.

Jon Stewart, a second time host, was much better this year. Better jokes, less awkwardness.

The two best moments were Marion Cotillard's win (watchable on youtube here, and pay attention to Cate Blanchett's response -- I love her) and when Markéta Irglová was allowed to come back out and deliver her thank yous. These moments are what make watching Oscars worthwhile.

Sadly I went 15-9 on predictions, which isn't too bad. Especially considering I guessed blind on both shorts, both documentaries, and a few other tech categories. I went 12-3 on what I claimed to 'know,' so I rule. I won't get over my underestimation of The Bourne Ultimatum. Oh, well.

Two years in a row where the best movie won Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Screenplay. Maybe the AMPAS has wised up after all. Here's to next year.

PS, there is a 'worst part.' America is out of taste with their movies, lots of people claiming they haven't even heard of the nominees. I'm going to restrain a rant, here, but something doesn't have to be 'popular' to be 'good.' In movies it's often the other way around. However, the general public being clueless means this year had the lowest number of viewers in 20 years. Sad? Yes, yes it is.

No comments: